Korean Rice Wine
Below you will find the recipe for Korean Rice Wine/Makgeolli (Hangul: 막걸리 ). I have brewed this several times, taking very detailed notes to ensure I can get a consistent, great tasting, and strong brew each time.
Korean Rice Wine or Makgeolli (Hangul: 막걸리 ) is also known as "makkoli", "makoli", "makguli", "makgoli", "makeolli" or "makuly (takju)". It is a nutritious drink full of probiotics, and is delicious! It also packs a good punch with 8-16% alcohol.
Makes About 3 gallons.
- 10 Cups Washed Rice
- 12 Cups of Water (Filtered is fine) to cook the rice
- 16 Cups of Water (To add to Brew, when making the wine)
- 16 Cups of Water (To cut the Rice Wine when it's ready)
- 3 Cups of Nuruk (Powdered Enzyme Amylase)
- 2 Packages of Dry Yeast.
- 1 Cup of Sugar (Optional)
Cook the Rice & Prepare the Rice Wine for Brewing
- Prepare 10 cups of washed rice in either electric pressure cooker, stove-top, or rice cooker.
- After rice is done cooking, spread out on cutting board or pan to cool down. (So you can handle it)
- Scoop rice onto dehydrator sheets, and dehydrate at around 160° until crispy outside, moist internally.
- When dehydrating is complete, break parts into a Korean Clay Pot or container that can hold.
- pour in 3 Cups Nuruk, 2 Packages of Dry Yeast and 16 Cups of Water
- Stir the mixture up until all ingredients are combined.
- Place Cheese Cloth over the top, and put the lid on. Place in a warmer area of the house. (Not more than 80° or it will sour)
Maintain the Brew
- Every day, stir the mixture up twice a day. When you open, you'll notice it's generating heat and bubbling. (This is good)
- Entire brewing process takes about 1 week. When the bubbling slows down, or stops, fermentation is complete. However, let it run a full week.
- Once a week has passed, get a cheese cloth (Or Nut Bag) and scoop mixture into the bag\cloth.
- Squeeze to get the liquid out, which will leave behind what looks like a dough ball. (This can be thrown away)
- Add 16 cups of Water to cut mixture, along with 1 cup of Sugar (Optional)
- Mix well, and bottle leave room at the top as mixture will continue to ferment and have bubbles.
- Chill, and enjoy!