30 Minute Mozzarella (Draft)
Author: Ken Wincel
1 1/2 level teaspoon citric acid (Dissolved in 1/2 cup cool water)
1 gallon whole milk
1/4 teaspoon liquid rennet (Or 1/4 table diluted in 1/4 cup cool water)
1 teaspoon cheese salt
- Put milk in pot and heat to 55 degrees
- While stirring add citric acid solution
- Bring milk up to 90 degrees, stirring constantly.
- Remove pot from heat, and slowly stir in dilluted rennet with an up and down motion for about 30 seconds.
- Cover pot and leave undisturbed for 5 minutes.
Note: Check the curd, it should look like custard, with a clear seperation of curd and whey. If not repeat for 5 minutes.
- Cut curd with a knife.
- Place pot back on stove and heat to 105 degrees, gently moving curds around with your spoon.
Note: In this step, heat to 110 degrees if you plan to stretch in water instead of the microwave.
- Scoop out curds with slotted poon and place into 2-quart microwaveable bowl.
- Press curds with hands, to pour off as much whey as you can. (Reserve the whey for ricotta)
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, drain excess whey
- Gently fold over and over with hand or spoon
- Heat two more times, for 35 seconds each (Add salt to taste after second time)
- After each heating, knead again to distribute heat
- Knead quickly until it's elastic, when they stretch like taffy it's done
Note 1: When cheese is smooth and shiny, roll into small balls and eat while warm. Or place in bowl of ice water for 1/2 hour.
Note 2: Alternate to microwave method is heating the curd to 175 degree. Add 1/4 cup of cheese salt to reserved whey. Then mold curds into small balls, and dipp for several seconds in hot whey. Knead, then repeat until smooth and pliable.